Thursday, July 23, 2009

Sleep 'til you're hungry, eat 'til you're sleepy

Sleep 'til you're hungry, eat 'til you're sleepy - Author Unknown

That quote described my baby. To the outside world it appeared that my baby slept for three hours before he needed to be fed. The first night home I did manage to get two hours of sleep before my baby awoke, wet and hungry.

I changed his diaper. A process that took approximately twenty minutes. I could never quite get those cloth diapers to fit my baby and it took at least 7 minutes to put bandages on my "safety pin pricked" fingers. "Safety", nothing safe about those pins.

The baby begins to breast feed and falls asleep.
(Gently nudge baby) He begins to breast feed and falls asleep.
(Gently nudge baby) He begins to breast feed and falls asleep. This continued for at least ninety minutes.

Diaper on shoulder, I position the baby for burping. Patting his back, I wait. And I wait some more. After thirty minutes the baby delivers a burp (complete with spit-up) that almost rattled the windows. As luck would have it, half of the spit-up claimed homestead on my nightgown sleeve.

I cradle him in my arms and prepare to place him in bed. As I laid him gently down I felt something on my arm. I looked down and saw this mustard colored, runny substance. It was on my arm, hands, the baby's onesie and his brand new Sears, Winnie the Pooh crib sheet and comforter. Winnie the Pooh, that's the nursery theme I picked, shaking my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment